Fairhall, Moffatt & Woodland Limited is an independent, privately-owned,
multi-disciplined professional land survey firm specializing in a wide range of surveying and land information services.
Formed in 1984, it succeeded the firm Fairhall & Moffatt Limited, incorporated in 1970 and the partnership of Messrs. Fairhall & Moffatt formed in 1968. Prior to 1968, Mr. Fairhall was the sole proprietor of the firm, having previously been a partner in the firm of McRostie, McLean and Fairhall. An uninterrupted chain of ownership can easily be traced to 1883, when Mr. J.B. Lewis, OLS, PLS, set up practice in the City of Ottawa.
The company is the official custodian of survey notes and records for over 20 survey firms, including partnerships, companies and sole proprietorships, that previously operated in the Ottawa-Carleton area. These records date back as far as the 1840s and contain vital information concerning the location of property lines.